Therapy Work

During the past fall, I decided that I wanted to give back to the community in some way.  I thought, "maybe there is a way I can share my dogs with others".  After doing some research, I found a local organization that had teams of dogs and handlers that would visit nursing homes, hospitals, homeless shelters, etc. to help brighten the days of people and often help them toward recovery.  For those that have never met my dogs, Shade is way to hyper for this type of venture but Denver on the other hand would be perfect.  He has a great energetic drive outside which makes him good for competition but his energy inside is completely mellow.  He would be perfect.  So we set off to become members to Happy Tails pet therapy organization.


Upon completing the necessary training and tests, Denver and I become Happy Tails members in March 2010.  We have not yet joined a permanent facility team yet but on April 3rd we participated as a substitute team at Sunrise Assisted leaving in Marietta, GA.  This being our first visit, we were a little nervous but Denver did well.  The traffic was a little light in the assisted living section because apparently everyone had a big Easter lunch and most were off sleeping in their rooms.  The alzheimer's section on the other hand was quite busy.  Denver walked around and visited various residents and let them pet him.  It was rewarding to see some of them get excited as we walked their direction.

This has been our only visit so far and it was really good to give something back to the community.  Denver and I can't wait til our next visit.  Ultimately we would love to visit rehab centers for stroke patients as well as childrens hosiptals.  Watch for more updates in the future.  Here are a couple pictures outside of the facility.  We are not allowed to take pictures inside due to confedientiality concerns.

Yes I know.....everyone tells me I'm precious.

0 comments: